The first weathervane to adorn the church tower was a gilded affair with the date and initials TSE, placed on the tower in 1620. There is nothing in the church records to indicate who TSE was. Churchwardens at the time were Edward Claggett and Henry Hale. That vane is now at the Wharf Brewery, a little way down Cliffe High Street which was sold to Harvey’s for 4s 2d.
The weathervane on the church tower today is thanks to churchwardens Arnold Tasker and Thomas Baldy, with the date of 1756 in it sunburst tail. These two Wardens were in office continuously for seventeen years. During this time they arranged new pews, new altar piece and a replacement weathervane bearing their initials. A Weathervane Account was opened to which 29 parishioners contributed a shilling each to pay for the new vane which cost £3 5s with a Mr Pratt charging 4s 6d for putting it on the church tower.
In the autumn of 2019 the weathervane was lovingly restored under a project overseen by Andrew Goodwin RIBA of Lewes architects MACKELLAR SCHWERDT under the director of current churchwarden Trevor Butler as part of a wider restoration project of the tower and internal repairs and redecoration. Project management was by Profurb Construction Ltd of West Sussex (whose director Andrew Rainford is photographed) with the vane restoration and regilding by PMF Metalwork of Newhaven
We are most grateful to our architect for kindly letting us use his photographs of the restored weathervane being reinstalled on the church tower on 22 October 2019.